If you have been searching the web for a place to have your portrait session, Solary Park probably did not turn up in any results. Probably because it is so far far off the beaten path and tucked away in Old Oviedo, most don't know it is there.
This place is like a secret hideaway right in the middle of everything. You've got these big open green spaces, twisty trails, in a community that's as cozy as your favorite hoodie. It's a perfect backdrop for casual portraits whether you are a family looking for a new portrait for the living room wall, a senior who is looking for a quiet outdoor location with a touch of nature, or a couple looking to get some romantic engagement photos.
Solary Park is hands down an awesome spot for your portrait session. First off, you've got this killer combo of natural beauty and suburban vibes. The park's centerpiece is a beautiful pond with a boardwalk wrapping around. The lush greenery and walking path make for a diverse backdrop that can suit any mood you're going for in your portraits.
We always seem to find great lighting at this location. Especially at golden hours of the evening. The sun shimmers off the ripples of the pond and adds an awesome effect to your portraits. Aside from the great lighting, there is also a mix of textures. to play with in photos from modern benches to small rock walls, and the cool table and chair settings under the overhang.
And any post about Oviedo would not be completed if we did not mention Chickens. If we photograph a session at Solary park there is alway a chance that we spot a chicken running around the park! The old downtown area of Oviedo is known for chickens roaming the streets, its always alot of fun to see them! I have even seen peacocks in the park! So it can definitely be a fun place, especially for children and families.
Some other reasons I really like Solary Park
- If you are local to Oviedo as I am, it is a nice short trip and the area has some great places to visit for a bite to eat or a cool treat after your session such as, The Townhouse restaurant, Kelly's Homemade Ice Cream or Cuccinella's Brick oven Pizza. All great spots and Oviedo Landmarks! And if you want to take it go and have a picnic at the park its a great way to soak up some Florida sun and enjoy Oviedo.
- Solary park has a great parking lot at the park so parking is never an issue.
- The park is usually empty. Other than a few power walkers, and maybe a cyclist here or there we usually have Solary Park to ourselves when we shoot here.
- There are public restrooms at the park that make outfit changes easy or so mom and dad can take the kids for a potty break quickly! You know you can't take the kids anywhere without a potty break!
Oviedo is filled with so many parks. Solary is obviously one of my favorites, but if you are looking for other options in Oviedo you can also consider
I hope this article give you some ideas for your next portrait session. It can really be difficult to pick the best spot for your portrait session, so If you would like some other Ideas, visit our Best Orlando Photoshoot Locations page for more great locations in the Central Florida area.
- Oviedo on the Park
- Round Lake Park
- Overlook Park (another one of my favorites)
- Shane Kelly Park